I am a lifelong fan of dungeons and Dragons and started playing since the release of second edition. I only recently started playing again with 5th edition and the character I have is a Dragonborn Paladin by the name of Drakkhen (stolen from the old SNES game of the same name).


With the campaign now over, and some very fond memories of long gaming sessions, it is time for the character to become a reality.


The concept of a Dragonborn Paladin was interesting enough, but the design on what he would wear was always changing, so I finalized on something I felt was a good representative of his attitude and mannerisms. Given that, I set to my sketchbook and drew out a few basic shapes, tinkered with same, and then, decided to go all out. If I am going to be making a costume like this, I cannot simply cheapen out, so once again, we set to scanning the art into my Mac.


I took the pencil art and used Illustrator to make the patterns. The overall look for the armor is to be as segmented as possible to allow for more freedom to move in and be more expressive.  Each individual playe is two layers, with a resin cast gem, and a detail layer. Once I was happy with the placement, and how the plates would lay overtop one another, I followed the base design and shape of the plates and applied same to other sapects of the armor. In total, there will likely be 32 individual plates for the armor alone.


I will be using 1/8 inch thick Sintra for this suit of armor, as the layering up will be more than sufficient to create the nessesary look anf feel of the thickness of the armor and give it the "tank" look I need as part of the design.


Once materials were decided upon, the color scheme had to be defined. As you can see in the mock up, gold and black were chosen, and will be used as the base colors to work around.


With the basic patterns done in Illustrator and saved as a vector file, it will be a simple matter of sizing each playe proportionally, then saving each pattern as a DXF file to use on my computer controlled cutter to make the paper patterns to trace onto the sintra with. There is no C and C machine or 3D printer being used here.


the gem is a simple geometric design I created using a paper model as a guideline, re-built in Illustrator, and sized as required. Once cut out and folded with clean edges, the paper was hardened with Smooth on 320, sanded clean, and cast in silicone to begin molding the red gems that will be wired to light up on each selected plate.


The knotwork pictured will alsoo be another layer, computer cut, and each sectioned adhered to the top plate...

MORE TO COME...STAY TUNED